1. “God Made the Country” is written by
(a) William Cowper:
(b) Alexander Pope
(c) Walter de la Mare
(d) Puran Singh
2. William Cowper is the poet of _____
(a) Polythene Bag
(c) God Made The Country
3. Where do you find health and virtue
(b) village (or country)
4. Where do you find field and groves ?
(a) smart city
(b) small city
(c) big town
(d) village (or country)
5. What is the source of light in villages in the evening ?
(a) moon beam
(b) splendid lamps
(c) CFL bulbs
(d) LED light
6. Which bird is mute and scared as per the poet ?
7. God made the country, and man made the _____
8. How is the nightingale
9. Offended, the nightingale is
10. The thrush departs _____
11. Our groves were planted to console at _____
12. What is the meaning of the word “pensive”?
13. Groves provide ____ to the pensive wanderer ?
14. Groves provide shade to the _____ wanderer ?
(a) pensive (sad)
15. The moonbeam slides softly in between the _____
(a) Mars and Jupiter
(b) sleeping leaves
(c) dirty pond
(d) none of the above
16. ______ warbling all the music
17. The splendour of the lamps of the town eclipse the softer ______
(b) solar eclipse
18. Your songs confound our more ______ .
(a) harder note
(b) softer note
(c) rap music
(d) loud noise
19. William Cowper is said to be giving his poems a foretaste of the poetry of _____ .
20. In the works of William Cowper, there is a deep respect for _____
(a) rural life
(b) city life
(c) urban life
(d) town life
21. In the works of William Cowper, there is a deep respect for _____
(a) film stars
(b) famous people
(c) urban people
(d) common people
22. In the works of William Cowper, there is a deep respect for _____
(a) seashore, coconut tree
(b) rush of metrpolitan
(c) lovely, quiet landscape
(d) cricket match
23. William Cowper didn’t hesitate to give clear cut opinion about
(a) issues of past
(b) issues of his time
(c) issues of future
(d) time travel
24. Ironically, the poets and dramatists who live in the city have written about the _____ .
(a) life of the city
(b) beauty of rural life
(c) the lonely desert
(d) wild wind
25. The first line of the poem, “God Made The Country” sums up the _____ of the countryside.
26. The first line of the poem, “God Made The Country” sums up the _____ of the town.
27. Being created in a _____ way, villages possess a perfection that town and cities can never have.
28. The poet throws light on the. of the rural life.
(b) fast pace
29. God made the ____, and man made the town.
(d) urban areas
30. Health and virtue are the gifts that can make _____the bitter draught.
31. Health and virtue are the gifts that can make sweet the _____ draught.
32. Birds _____ all the music
33. Our groves were planted to ____ at noon
34. Villages posses
(b) wet field
(c) dry field
35. What has made the man idle ?
(a) Luxurious life
(b) Packed foods
(c) Comfortable devices
(d) None of these
36. The poet calls things like health and virtue
37. The towns people do not enjoy any real
38. The villagers can do very well without the ………. lights of the town.
39. On hearing the songs of the towns, singing-birds like the ………… are afraid and go away.
40. William copper was born in